Saturday, September 10, 2011

First Impressions

Well, I had some mishaps upon arrival in Spain.  My checked bag didn´t arrive with my plane, but luckily it was on a plane that arrived 2 hours later.  Also, when I got to the Avenida de América, I went to buy a bus ticket to Burgos, but it was full.  So I had to wait 3 hours until the next one came.  I arrived at my hostel some 5 hours late, but the receptionist said it was no problem.  Almost all of the people I have spoken to have been very friendly except for this one taxi driver.  I asked could he take me to my hostel and he looked very flustered and asked for me to go to the first cab on the street.  Luckily the cab driver at the front of the line was so nice.  We he showed be the sites on the way and told me that he wants his kids to learn English once I told him that I am here to teach English, but he admits that it is very hard.


On a side note, all of the English that I heard has been quite bad to tell you the truth, which can only mean good things for me!  Job security :) And I will always have to speak Spanish.  The flight attendants on Iberia were unintelligible in English, sounding more like Spanish than English.

The ride to Burgos on the bus was cool.  So many cool sites, modern windmills, mountains, and little houses.  However, it was interstate and for the most part kinda boring.  Not much to see.

I woke up around 6 or 7 this morning, and I decided to take a walk to my high school.  Seeing as how I cannot use my iPhone, I had to write the directions down.  Street signs are IMPOSSIBLE to come by in Burgos.  Some buildings, presumably more important than others, have the names of the streets on little plaques, but they are few and far between.

After taking a few pictures, petting a dog, getting lost, telling an Asian in Spanish that I had no clue if taxi's came by this street or not, and hoping for the best, I found my school.  It seems as though everything educational in that area is in the same "Conjunta" surrounded by a rather brash fence.

This morning's temperature was perfect.  A slight chill in the air and pretty dry.  My room in my hostel gets pretty toasty during the day.  There is no air conditioner, but that is okay.  On my walk, I noticed that there are no fast food places, just small cafés and restaurants.  So many people, young and old walk.  It is such a nice community.  I love it so far.  Recycling is very easy here, as there are bins on the streets for it.  There are even bins or kitchen oil!

I just woke up from my first siesta and had a café con leche in the break room.  I have only spent a euro today, as I have been taking advantage of my hostel´s break room (free of course)

Well, that´s all I have.  Ill upload my pics to facebook.  My camera is not the best, and it has been a while since I used it, so some pics might be blurry, I´ll do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment